Organic Superfoods to Include in Your Pre-Workout Meals
by Vickie Chin on Jun 29, 2023
When you’re headed to the gym, it’s crucial to fuel up beforehand.
Finding the right mix of recipes and ingredients to power up and improve athletic performance is vital to athletes of all kinds, from amateurs to professionals.
In this article, we discuss the many great superfoods that you can add to your meals to eat before a workout to ensure maximum energy, performance, and gains.
Keep reading to learn all about the importance of eating superfoods before exercising, as we explore the world of healthy meals and snacks for pre-workout options to boost your physical performance.
Organic Nuts & Seeds: Nature's Energy Boosters
Known for packing a massive amount of protein into a tiny form, nuts and seeds are excellent additions to any of your meals and snacks to eat before a workout. The versatility of nuts and seeds makes them perfect for almost any recipe, though they go particularly well with smoothies, salads, and baked goods.
Here are four awesome types of nuts and seeds to eat before working out:
- Almonds: Organic raw almonds are one of the most well-known nuts for providing a powerful source of energy before you start your workout classes. Packed with healthy fats and protein, almonds are an excellent snack that is easy to digest and goes great with a variety of recipes. Healthy and nutritious dark chocolate-covered almonds are also delicious snack options and organic desserts at the same time.
- Walnuts: Known best for their use in baking recipes, walnuts are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants that add an energetic kick to your pre-workout nutrition plan. Sprinkle in some walnuts with your next batch of breakfast muffins, or simply eat a handful on the go to boost your energy.
- Chia Seeds: Chia seeds have surged in popularity in the health and fitness communities over recent years as an excellent source of dietary fibre, calcium, omega-3 fatty acids, and iron. These seeds also have a variety of antioxidants and can support your heart and brain health.
- Pumpkin Seeds: Pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of plant protein and can provide a rich, nutty flavour to soups, salads, and other recipes. These seeds are high in magnesium and zinc, as well as being a great source of iron and dietary fibre as well.
Dried Fruits: Natural Sweetness & Nutritional Power
Fruits are nature’s sweet treats, offering you a wonderful source of natural sugars and carbohydrates. Many dried fruits are densely packed with nutrients like vitamins and antioxidants, helping to fuel your body, creating delicious nutrition option for eating before workout, while also boosting your immune system and general health.
Here are five great dried fruits to snack on before hitting the gym:
- Prunes: Prunes are very well-known for their digestive regulation capabilities, helping to keep your bowel movement healthy and regular. Along with being a great source of fibre, prunes are also densely packed with carbs, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Just be wary of eating too many before hitting the gym — or you may just be spending your downtime in the bathroom.
Leafy Greens: Nutrient-Dense Powerhouses
As an exercise enthusiast, you likely know the importance of eating your daily greens — and you also likely know how easy these greens can be to overlook. However, leafy greens are great pre-workout superfoods, as they are essential for your physical health and provide your body with the nutrients necessary to achieve sustainable muscle growth.
Here are five of the best leafy greens to chow down on before heading to work out:
- Spinach: Spinach is an incredibly powerful superfood and one of the most affordable leafy greens around. These greens are an excellent source of iron, calcium, and vitamins A and C. Plus, spinach is a highly versatile ingredient, meaning you can work it into almost every recipe — from curries and salads to smoothies.
- Kale: Kale is a deep green and leafy form of cabbage with edible leaves that go great in smoothies, salads, or crisped up in the oven as kale chips, perfect for eating before a workout. Along with providing many different antioxidants, kale is also a good source of dietary fibre and vitamins.
- Swiss Chard: Swiss chard is a colourful leafy green that is tasty when raw but also an excellent add-in for soups, salads, and sauteed veggies. This leafy green provides you with many great nutrients, including magnesium and vitamin E.
- Arugula: Arugula is a leafy green known best for its distinct tart flavour. This green adds a flavorful twist to all types of recipes, from soups to smoothies, and also goes great in sandwiches. Plus, arugula has vitamin K, folate, and nitrates that help improve your exercise performance.
- Green Powder Blends: If you want a super-charged dose of leafy greens, invest in a green powder blend that can easily be added to juices, smoothies, soups, and more. Green powders are great for storing year-round and ensure you always have access to organic leafy greens, even when your local supermarket is running low.
Creating Nutritious Smoothies for Pre-Workout Fuel
If you’re fresh out of ideas for nutritious meals and snacks to eat before your workout, fret not — we have provided you with three excellent smoothie recipes to get your workout started right and to boost your energy before gym
Green Smoothie: Green smoothies are easy drinks to craft and provide you with all the dense nutrients leafy greens have to offer. To craft a green smoothie, use an organic green powder of your choice, a banana, and almond milk. For the best results, freeze the banana before use.
- Berry Blast Smoothie: For a blast of fruit sensation, create a berry blast smoothie using Organic Tradition’s antioxidant berry blast powder blended with mixed berries of your choice, Greek yogurt, and flaxseeds. To add a little extra nutrition and flavor, throw in some of your favorite dried fruits to this smoothie recipe.
- Tropical Paradise Smoothie: Take an imaginary trip to paradise by creating a tropical paradise smoothie with pineapple, mango, coconut water, and hemp seeds. To take this smoothie to the next level, add a dash of turmeric to create a tropical turmeric smoothie.
Visit Organic Traditions to Stock Up on All Your Favorite Superfoods
Organic Traditions is a leading online supplier of all things superfoods. Whether you’re in need of a new green powder, a tasty new fruit powder for smoothies, or dried fruits for the best pre-workout energy boost, snacks on the go, or anything in between, Organic Traditions has what you need. Visit our online shop today to stock up on all your favourite superfoods — plus, enjoy free standard shipping to anywhere in the U.S.